The Ventura County Community College District Police Department employs police cadet student workers who play a vital role in providing quality police services to our college community. The cadets are full-time college students who work part-time, between 15 and 20 hours per week.
To be eligible for employment as a student worker with the VCCCD, all police cadets must be (or have been or will be) currently enrolled as a full-time student in the Spring or Fall Semesters or the Summer Session.
Our police cadet program allows students to gain valuable experience working in a law enforcement organization while pursuing educational goals. Police cadets are paid student specialists and have the opportunity to earn college credit through the Criminal Justice Internship Program.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES OF POLICE CADETS
Police cadets are primarily utilized to provide support services to the VCCCD Police Department administration and patrol officers. Many of the job duties expected of police cadets are:
- Parking enforcement
- Security and traffic control
- Provide safety escort services
- Answer non-emergency calls for service
- Respond to campus-related calls for service (e.g. door unlocks, vehicle jumpstarts)
- Monitor video surveillance cameras
- Patrol the college campuses both on foot and in utility/golf carts
- Provide directions and assistance to faculty, staff, students, and visitors
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT
Students interested in being police cadets must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student at any accredited college or university.
- Full-time status is defined as a minimum of 12 units of instruction during the spring/fall semesters or four units during summer sessions.
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must possess a valid Class "C" California Driver License with a clean driving record.
- Must be free of any felony charges or disqualifying misdemeanor criminal convictions.
- Must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Must be able to understand and follow both oral and written instructions
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must be able to work efficiently with little direction or supervision
We are always interested in qualified individuals who are interested in becoming police cadets. Our primary hiring periods are during the first weeks of August, just before the start of the Fall Semester, and in December/January, just before the Spring Semester. However openings during the school year sometimes occur and vacancies may be filled. Applicants are expected to enjoy working with the public and be able to work occasionally in fast paced environments. In addition to parking enforcement, the cadets conduct many of the administrative functions of the police offices.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested students should download the Police Cadet Application packet, print it, fill it out completely, and then submit it to the police station of the college where you wish to be assigned. Alternatively, a physical copy of the Police Cadet Application may be acquired upon request at any VCCCD police station. If you have any questions or are interested in more information about the Police Cadet position, feel free to inquire with any of our police officers or campus safety officers.