The Ventura County Community College District (VCCCD) Police Department employs full- and part-time sworn Community College Police Officers who are vested with full arrest authority in the State of California, pursuant to California Penal Code §830.32 and California Education Code §72330. The Police Department is recognized by, and adheres strictly to, the State of California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) guidelines. Community College Police Officers enforce applicable federal, state, county, and city laws, as well as enforce District regulations. Our police officers also enforce college rules and regulations governing the use of college buildings and grounds.
Currently, the VCCCD Police Department does not have specialty assignments (e.g. K-9, traffic) and only holds duty assignments for patrol and field training. Furthermore, the VCCCD Police Department only accepts academy-complete and lateral applicants.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Police officer applicants must meet all of the minimum qualifications:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Be a U.S citizen or permanent resident.
- Possess a high school diploma or passed the General Educational Development Test or possess a two-year or four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
- Possess a valid Class "C" California Driver License.
- Possess a current and valid California POST Basic Training certificate.
- Possess current and valid First Aid and CPR certificates.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of police-related skills and experience with police-related equipment.
EXAMINATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
Applicants must possess all of the above minimum qualifications at the time their application is submitted in order to be invited to the written examination. Applicants must pass the following preliminary examinations in order to be placed on the eligibility list:
- Written Examination (pass/fail)
- Technical/Oral Interview
Upon successful completion of the above examinations, applicants will be required to pass all of the following:
- Physical Agility Test
- Subjective Background Investigation
- Polygraph Examination
- Chief's Oral Interview
- Psychological Examination
- Medical Screening
If selected and appointed as a Community College Police Officer, newly hired officers must complete four months of Departmental field training, followed by a probationary period of one (1) year.
HOW TO APPLY
Currently, the VCCCD Police Department has no open Community College Police Officer positions. When recruitment is open, applicants may apply by submitting an online application.
The VCCCD Police Department does offer and hire part-time sworn peace officers as provisional employees. For more information on how to apply as a provisional police officer, contact the VCCCD Police Department's Police Services office.