The Ventura County Community College District (VCCCD) Police Department employs non-sworn Campus Safety Officers (CSOs) who provide vital support services to all aspects of the Police Department, including patrol and police services. CSOs are classified employees and may be hired as full-time or part-time provisional employees. CSOs do not need to be students enrolled in college courses. Campus Safety Officers assist police officers, supervisors, and the police services office with many of the auxiliary responsibilities of the Police Department, such as parking permit request processing, records processing, evidence handling, and court documentation processing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Campus Safety Officer applicants must meet all of the minimum qualifications:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a U.S citizen or permanent resident.
- Possess a high school diploma or passed the General Educational Development Test or possess a two-year or four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
- Possess a valid Class "C" California Driver License.
- Possess at least one year experience with a law enforcement agency.
EXAMINATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
Applicants must possess all of the above minimum qualifications and licenses at the time their application is submitted in order to be invited to an oral interview.
Upon successful completion of the oral interview, applicants will be required to pass all of the following:
- Subjective Background Investigation
- Medical Screening and Drug Test
- Physical Assessment
If selected and appointed as a Campus Safety Officer, newly hired CSOs will be placed on a probationary period of six (6) months. During that time, newly hired CSOs will be required to obtain the following certificates:
- Acquire valid First Aid and CPR certificates within six months.
- Acquire a valid School Security Officer training certificate that meets the requirements of California Education Code Section 72330.5 and Business and Professions Code Section 7583.45, as provided by the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs, within six months.
HOW TO APPLY
Currently, the VCCCD Police Department has no open Campus Safety Officer positions. When recruitment is open, applicants may apply by submitting an online application. The VCCCD Police Department does offer and hire part-time CSOs as provisional employees as needed. For more information on how to apply as a provisional CSO, contact the VCCCD Police Department's Police Services office.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Annual salary for Campus Safety Officer: $43,392 - $60,048.
Full-time VCCCD Campus Safety Officers are considered Classified Employees and are under the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS). Campus Safety Officers are eligible for the District's Administrative / Supervisors / Confidential / Classified (ASCC) benefits. For complete information related to the VCCCD's employee benefits, visit the District's ASCC benefits page. Part-time provisional employees do not qualify for benefits.
The VCCCD does not offer educational or other incentives.