The Leadership Academy will include:
- Recognizing leadership styles, identify personal strengths, and building teams.
- Development of strategic planning and communication skills.
- Working together in a team to develop unique approaches and creative ideas.
- A review of institutional dynamics both local and system-wide.
- Learning how to advocate for and implement change in the service of our diverse students and communities.
About the Program
The Leadership Academy is a one-year coordinated leadership development program that brings classified staff, full-time faculty, part-time faculty, and managers together in a supportive environment.
The components of the Academy include:
- Nine class sessions held once a month between September 2019 and April 2020
- Interactive team project for solution-based learning
- Reflective journaling to build contemplation skills
- Welcome reception
- Academy Completion Recognition
The Academy sessions are interactive and engaging to better immerse participants in the learning experience. Because the Chancellor has taken an active role in the design of the Leadership Academy, the curriculum will be tailored to the needs of VCCCD, while still incorporating best practices from other community college leadership programs. The Chancellor will continue to offer direct guidance throughout the program.
Participants will learn from recognized community leaders including VCCCD faculty, administrators, and executives. They will have opportunities to interact with community college presidents, state leaders, community partners, and constituents to understand broader community college needs.
Attendees will create an individual professional growth plan and will be required to keep a journal. During the Team Project module, participants will work in teams with a guide to offer a solution to a problem or issue. Creative and innovative ideas that come from this module may be implemented at the District.