As provided in Education Code Section 15278, the role of the district’s Citizens Oversight Committee is to inform the public concerning the district’s expenditure of revenues received from the sale of bonds authorized by the voters in the March 2002 general election. In particular, the committee will provide oversight ensuring that:
- bond revenues are expended only for the construction, reconstruction, rehabilitation or replacement of college facilities, including the furnishing and equipping of college facilities or the acquisition or lease of real property for college facilities; and
- no bond revenues are expended for any teacher or administrative salaries or other college operating expenses.
To carry out its role, the Citizens Oversight Committee may:
- receive and review copies of the annual independent performance audit conducted to ensure that the bond revenue has been expended only on the specific projects listed in the bond proposition;
- receive and review copies of the annual independent financial audit of the bond revenue;
- inspect college facilities and grounds to ensure that the bond revenue is expended in compliance with the requirements of paragraph (3) of subdivision (b) of Section 1 of Article XIIIA of the California Constitution;
- receive and review copies of deferred maintenance proposals or plans developed by the district; and
- review efforts by the district to maximize bond revenues by implementing various cost saving measures.