WHAT IS A PERSONNEL COMMISSION?
California Assembly Bill 999, known as the Merit System, was established and enacted into law in 1935, to provide statutory protection to classified employees through the Education Code against politically or personally motivated employment, promotion, discipline, or dismissal actions.
The Ventura County Community College District's Merit System and its Personnel Commission were established in 1962 when the District formally separated from the Ventura Unified School District.
The Merit System is a personnel system of rules and procedures administered by the Personnel Commission. The Merit System ensures fair and equitable treatment in all personnel management matters without regard to politics, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, martial status, age, or disabling condition and with proper regard for individual privacy and constitutional rights.
The Personnel Commission prescribes, amends and interprets rules and regulations to ensure the efficiency of the classified service, conducts recruitment from all segments of society and advancement on the basis of relative ability, knowledge, and skill. Provides for the selection and retention of classified employees upon a basis of merit and fitness. The Personnel Commission maintains a classification plan that groups positions into classes on the basis of duties and responsibilities.
Personnel Commission members are appointed for three-year terms alternately by the governing board, the classified employees of the district, and the third by the first two members.
PERSONNEL COMMISSION MEMBERS
David J. Gonzales
- Member since 2003. BA degree, UCLA; JD degree, Southwestern University School of Law.
- Occupation: Retired Assistant Vice Chancellor for Facilities and Parking & Transportation Services, University of California, Santa Barbara.
James L. King, SPHR (Chair)
- Member since 2005, and from 2000 to 2003. BS degree, California Lutheran University.
- Occupation: Retired Executive Vice President, Southeast Ventura County YMCA.
Barbara M. Harison
- Member since 2001, and from 1997-2000. MBA degree, Pepperdine University.
- Occupation: Planning and Management Consultant-Harison & Associates.