HazMat Spill


  • Moorpark College: Police at (805) 378-1455 | Maintenance & Operations at (805) 378-1454
  • Oxnard College: Police at (805) 678-5805 | Maintenance & Operations at (805) 678-5821
  • Ventura College: Police at (805) 289-6486 | Maintenance & Operations at (805) 289-6340

Be prepared to give the following information:

  • State: "This is an emergency. There has been a chemical/hazardous material spill. "
  • Give your name, location (college, building and room number), nature of emergency, and the phone number from which you are calling.
  • Give the name of the chemical, approximate amount spilled, and the time of spill.
  • Do not hang up until you are sure no further information is required, unless there is an immediate threat to your safety.
  • If you call 911, you must also call campus police dispatch.

What to do in the event of a hazardous material or chemical spill:

  • Immediately report the incident to your supervisor.
  • Vacate the area immediately.
  • If possible, seal the area to contain the spill and limit exposure to individuals.
  • If the chemical is reacting in any way, generating gases or fumes, presents a fire hazard or is toxic, activate the building fire alarm and evacuate the building, assisting all persons with disabilities as necessary.
  • DO NOT attempt to control a chemical or hazardous material spill unless you have been formally trained to do so and have the proper equipment.
  • DO NOT re-enter the area of the spill until you have been directed to do so by campus officials.